Monday, September 21, 2009

Back to school start

  If you aren't really sure about the basics of biodiesel, then please consider this- we are putting together a team to go over everything we can, from how it is made to it's environmental benefits, to create a series of posters answering the questions people who don't know a lot about biodiesel want to learn.  We will put them up around our production site so people who want to see what biodiesel is all about can just look at all of them.  If you are intereested, please reply or give me a call some time at 410-206-3972.  We can arrange times to work on this an get a working knowledge of whatever you want to know.  Bring your friends!
Have you ever been interested in making soap? We are organizing a soap making group based off of our main byproduct, glycerol. The soap making process will be tested by the first of October and we will be making it at the open house in the Clarksville Research facility. Again, if you are interested, please give me a call. I would love to see how this turns out!
If you are more interested in getting a little messy, we are going to start working on oil pickups from the dining hall and/or the commons, in addition to trips out to the farm. Again, if you are interested, please contact me! (Personally speaking, this is my favorite part.)
We will reiterate all of this at the meeting and go over it in a little more detail. (Sorry about the short notice.) I look forward to hearing from you!

P.S.- We finally got in touch with transit about fueling their vehicles. Look forward to some biodiesel powered buses!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Farm trip Friday

We are planning on another Farm trip Friday!  Also, we have a little lab work available to do, if any one is interested, please contact me.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Farm Address (finally)

16114 Drayton Farm Dr
Spencerville, MD 20868

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Election Results

The voting results are in!  We had a great turnout for the polls...
Public Relations- DT
Treasurer- Cassie
Operations Manager- Matt
Research Manager- Ray
President- Nick

Also- the farm address is coming.  Apparently my emails are not as complete as I thought.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Farm Trip

Today we cleaned up the farm and put a lot of the oil into one of the clean IBCs.  (About 4-5 small boxes are left.)  It was a little wet but it was a good trip- also managed to fix the water wash set up and washed out a container we can use for biodiesel later on.  We moved the methanol into the room itself, so the methoxide production can start again.  Most of the preparation is done, so next time we should *cross your fingers* be able to make some biodiesel.  As for this Wednesday, we have officer elections.  Please come and vote.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009


Sorry I've been off for a while.  I see that we got our Motorweek video got online (link below) and we are having an outreach session on the 17th, at 1:30pm.  If you want to be involved, please contact Mike!

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Meeting Notes

At today's meeting, we basically went over what things we needed done and broke everyone down into groups to get the work done.  Below is a general breakdown of the groups and who is in them.  If I have you down in the wrong one or you want to switch, just contact me.

     Methane to Methanol Conversion Process (Jay and Matt)- Designing and producing a small scale product that will convert methane gas into methanol.  The current general idea (as I understand it) is to use a rare metal catalyst with a small pump to convert it, but with the funding, these guys have a little leeway to come up with something that will work.  (They are in the process of applying for an Undergraduate Research Award to supplement the Undergraduate Research Award.)
       Algal Feasibility (Marsha and Steph???)- Looking into the feasibility of removing the oil from algae from the ponds at UMBC and the Farm, in addition to possibility from the Chesapeake Bay, using the Algal Bloom maps the Bay Foundation has available.
       General Research (Atto, Mike)- The final group is more general and flexible, researching currently the physical standards required for ASTM certification of fuel.  Hopefully this will lead to more efficient fuel production in the future and possibly use of the fuel in Quadmania.
       Public Relations (DT, Nick)- Keeping the press and general public informed, working with the SEB and SGA to keep our group moving forward to improve the utility of the group.   Will be organizing demonstrations of our biofuel being used in generators, in order to start the use in generators.
      Anaerobic digestion (Nick, DT, Marsha, Angela)- Will be designing and building an anaerobic digestion chamber to get biogas out of manure.

Our entire group is going to start going out to the farm when it gets warmer (right now the biodiesel will gel) and we will need to start organizing rides to and from the farm.  Alas, that is about it for now.  Best of luck!